In September 2020 the government announced the withdrawal of metaldehyde slug control, with product sales ending in March 2021 and remaining stocks to be used up or disposed of by 31st March 2022. The withdrawal was planned following advice from the UK expert committee on pesticides and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who consider that metaldehyde poses an unacceptable risk to birds and mammals. An initial withdrawal in 2019 was overturned due to problems with incorrect implementation.
Product names for slug pellets for home garden use containing metaldehyde that will be affected by this withdrawal include: Ultimate Slug and Snail Killer, Deadfast Slug Killer, Doff Slug Killer Blue Mini Pellets and Westland Eraza Slug and Snail Killer. Please be aware that these and other product names may be relaunched using ferric phosphate as the main ingredient instead, and check any products you have stored to make sure they are used up or disposed of safely by the end of March 2022.
- RHS predicts perfect slug storm….. but does not recommend slug killing products
- Blue Slug Pellets Banned from Sale on 31st March 2021
- Hedgehog vulnerable of extinction in UK
- protect your young lettuce plants
- Defra still……reviewing Metaldehyde ban
- Garden Organics advises “Organic”….. ‘Ferric Phosphate’ Slug Pellets only to be used as a last resort.
- Stay Safe & SlugLess® -up to 15% OFF
- Compton Verney Home & Garden Show – Saturday 29th June